Free Bass Lessons -- Electric Bass Questions Answered

Free bass lessons and advice from professional bassist and NJ certified music teacher Andrew Pfaff. All content © Andrew Pfaff. Any redistribution of content in this blog must be free and un-altered.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Jeff Berlin and Metronomes

As some of you may know, the monstrously talented and legendary electric bass player Jeff Berlin is very outspoken against the metronome as a learning tool.

Recently on myspace, he brought out his arguments against the metronome. Friend him on myspace if you want to read them for yourself.

In my opinion, he is extremely gifted and had never found a personal use for a metronome, so he therefore decided they are useless. Mere mortals like myself disagree. Below is my reply to Mr. Berlin.
___________________________________________________________________

Granted, there are many people all over the world who have developed great time and musical feeling without metronomes.
In the history of music and its practice, the metronome is a relatively new innovation.
These facts alone, while true and compelling for what they are, do not mean metronomes are useless or harmful.
I was fortunate enough as a child to have a piano teacher show me how to use a metronome as a constructive practice aid, NOT as a crutch to support bad time. She showed me how to use a metronome to pick apart and master technical passages, bridging from playing them out of time toward playing them in time, first slowly, then gradually up to performance tempo, with FEELING and CONFIDENCE and AUTHORITY every step of the way.

The metronome gives me a means to scrutinize my technical problems and turn those problems, ultimately, into the effortless coordinated action which results in music.
In other words, after playing arpeggios on the changes of Giant Steps out of time, I played them at 40 on the metronome. Then 42. Then 44. It helped me figure out exactly what was getting in my way at any particular moment so that I could stop and fix it.
I think this method of metronome practicing has also helped me with fluid, lyrical, out-of-time playing as well. This is because interpretive "pushing and pulling" of time can be done with more freedom from technical blocks. I am not tempted to "slow down for the hard parts" in a performance situation (like so many of my students do and have to be trained out of).

Further, I know of no instances where practicing with a metronome has harmed anyone's musical development.

Finally, for as many good musicians with great time and feel (like you, Mr. Berlin) who have not used or needed the aid of a metronome in their development, there are many more who resist the metronome and trot out all the arguments about how "it kills the feel" and is "too mechanical" and "has no soul" etc. when it is obvious to me that they are in denial about their own deficiencies and, rather than confront them, criticize and dismiss possibly helpful tools out of ignorance, fear and personal insecurity.

These same people often resist things like learning to read music, scales, and arpeggios. You may know someone like this. To put it bluntly, these people say "I play from the heart" so that they can continue to SUCK and not feel internally conflicted about it.

Come on. You know it's true.

I credit the metronome for valuable assistance in my technical development. Simply because you have never used or felt the need for one, Mr. Berlin, does not mean it did not help me. It did.

OK I'm done now.

BTW I saw you give a clinic in about 1990 when you were endorsing the Peavey Pallaedium bass. Watching you up close showed me that I had to use my RH thumb as a floating mute to keep the open strings under control. Thank you very much -- that realization alone made a huge improvement in my playing. I got to talk to you a bit and you were very cool. I appreciate it to this day.

Guess how I practiced that technique and got it completely internalized?

WITH A METRONOME!

So I will continue to disagree with you on this point.

OK now I'm really done.

4 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Neil Bergman said...

"Further, I know of no instances where practicing with a metronome has harmed anyone's musical development."

I'm quite sure you do know of many instances of this sort... you just never realized how the metronome was a detriment.

I agree with you that a metronome can be used to assist in learning how to correct poor technique by pointing out the flaws. But to quote Mr. Berlin on the subject, "You have to have content before technique. When you have content, your technique must develop because of the need of the music to be represented. People go the other way."

You were using the metronome once you had content to perfect your technique. That IS a good way to use a metronome. But a novice attempting to play an unfamiliar piece to a metronome prior to learning the content is very detrimental. They spend their time attempting to keep time when they first need to learn the content.

Just my .02 on the subject.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Andrew Pfaff said...

I agree with you completely. I still don't get why Berlin is so completely, absolutely anti-metronome. ANY tool can be used well or badly. For Berlin, this apparently makes the tool bad. Would he say electronic tuners are bad because they can be used as a crutch, instead of learning to tune by ear?

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Dave Grossman said...

Back around 2002 or so, Jeff Berlin had a forum at TalkBass.com. We was called out for his views on metronomes then and never gave an adequate explanation of why they were bad. (apparently, I would have to go to a clinic to find out) Furthermore, he claimed that they could not be used to improve a person's time. This was on top of other equally idiotic (and demonstrably wrong) statements about fretless basses, slap bass, extended range basses and probably a few other subjects. The one common denominator was his complete lack of any reasonable support for why he felt the way he did. Eventually, he pulled out of TalkBass.com and had his forum deleted. This was after being engaged in a fierce flamewar over whether or not he was the first person to record slap bass or something like that.

Personally, I find it irresponsible for him to use his celebrity/authority status to spread bad information. This is coming from someone who used to buy any recording that had Jeff on it. I was a huge fan of his starting in the 80's. When I heard some of the things he said, I was very disappointed. Being controversial isn't always a good thing.

I've heard Jeff's arguments against metronomes many many times. It is easy enough to come up with a "yeah, well, in this case a metronome is bad" but that does not make metronomes bad. And, it certainly does not sum up his arguments which are much more deep rooted.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Andrew Pfaff said...

Dave, I really hear you! I still click on Jeff's myspace bulletins in spite of myself and have come to the conclusion that he is continuing to hone his arguments and refine his semantics to support an argument that just isn't as airtight as he wants you to believe.
It's really simple to me: Of course time is human, but learning to play in time agreement with a metronome definitely helps when you have to develop good time agreement with another live musician. Push and pull can then be willful, not accidental. Like you I just don't see why it's productive to put so much energy into dissing the click.
Best,
Andy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home